Sunday, November 11, 2012

Shrimp Scampified


Every few weeks from late spring to early fall, Fabian Seafood from Galveston, Texas comes to our area and sells fresh shrimp from the Gulf.  Their shrimp is flown in fresh, never frozen and sold out of the back of a truck in coolers filled with ice at 3 locations over 3 days.  Last week was their last visit for the year so I stocked up on shrimp and crab meat for crab cakes.  They sell east coast fresh crab without any preservatives and it's delicious.


Since it's been cool here lately, I decided to make my latest shrimp purchase into a comforting pasta dish.  After looking over a few recipes and picking out the parts that sounded best, I came up with a version of Shrimp Scampi that my family loved.  With the shrimp cut into pieces, every bite had a bit of shrimp and pasta.  I served it with some steamed broccoli and crusty bread with herbed olive oil for dipping. Delish!
  

Shrimp Scampified


Adapted from Here and Here
Printable Recipe

Serves 4

Important - Have everything prepped and ready to use in small bowls next to the stove before starting the shrimp.

1/4 cup of light olive oil
1 lb peeled and deveined large to jumbo shrimp, cut into half or thirds, depending on size
6 garlic cloves, minced
3/4- 1 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 very large or 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon of capers, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3/4 pound pasta - I used Mezze Rigatoni
1/2 cup reserved pasta water
Lemon Wedges - Optional

Place a large pot of salted water on the stove to boil.

While the water is heating, place a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil. Sauté the shrimp, stirring once or twice until just barely cooked through for approximately 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp to a bowl and place the pan back on the heat. Add the minced garlic to the skillet and stir. Then add the wine, salt and pepper and allow to reduce for about 2 minutes or so. Add the chopped tomato and capers, stir and cook for another minute or two. Add the butter to the skillet to melt and then return the shrimp to the pan and toss. Remove from the heat.

Cook pasta according to package directions (I start the pasta while I'm working on the shrimp mixture above), remove 1/2 cup pasta cooking water with a ladle, then drain pasta. Place the drained pasta in a large bowl, add the shrimp mixture, chopped parsley and toss. Add some of the reserved pasta water and toss again.

44 comments:

  1. That is great that you have the opportunity to buy really fresh sea food like that. We used to have a fish truck here on Fridays, but sadly no more. I used to always ask for clams. The owner told me there was a law against selling clams from a truck. I guess they spoil quickly? shrimp and pasta are a delicious combo. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen them sell clams, either, Barbara, so you're probably right. They did have shucked oysters this trip.

      Delete
  2. I wish we had a fish truck here. Although we do have a very good fish market. This looks delicious. Beautiful flavors and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great meal! Glad you got to stock up:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one of your fabulous recipes for my To-Make list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the recipe's name:-) This is our kind of dish..we have a very very similar one:-)
    I know about the seafood people:-) I think I even remember the first time you shared..and I remember photos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good and your dishes are beautiful. I rarely eat shrimp or any shellfish it seems. I try to avoid anything high in cholesterol, not because I need to but don't want to get addicted to it and then find out I've eaten too much of it and then have to eliminate it. That said I think I will have to print this recipe and try it sometime. It really looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! As far as shrimp and cholesterol, from what I've read shrimp is high in Omega-3 so the good cholesterol negates the bad. Shrimp are also low in fat and some doctors think a diet high in saturated fats are more to blame for high cholesterol. If a person needs medication for high cholesterol, then they should probably consult with their doctor before eating shrimp. Everything in moderation is my motto ;)

      Delete
  7. This looks so fresh and flavourful. Lucky you having so fresh seafood. I will have to live with the frozen one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seafood in this dish makes it so refreshing :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shrimp are an incredible gift from Nature. All they ask is not to be cooked too much. Lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pasta dish looks delish indeed! My kids would love this! Shrimps are a favourite in our house!
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Does look and sound delicious - Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure using some more shrimps they are going to be very good even without pasta ...anyway thanks for sharing have a nice week, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I look Shrimp Scampi. This sounds wonderful. I don't understand my friends who say they don't like seafood. I always try to encourage them to take a bite. My kids all love it and the truth it, I have converted a few friends. We will have to try this. I don't have fresh, but I always keep shrimp in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know if it is the same truck or business but I bought from a truck once and he was bringing the shrimp from the Gulf Coast and then one time he told me he was having marital problems and I never saw him again! Love shrimp scampi, especially with excellent shrimps, yours sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Joumana! I doubt if it was the same company since they've been coming here for years without interruption. I know one of their employees tried to go off and do this on his own but I don't think he lasted very long.

      Delete
  15. That would definitely never happen here with the truck, but it would be great to get fresh seafood like that! Lucky you and thanks for the delicious sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dish sounds delicious...don't you love the mezze rigatoni.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing! I like that you didn't drown it in butter (I've had some scampi dishes that I swear were pure butter bleh). The shrimp flavor must have really come through.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks and sounds amazing Susan. The capers must add an interesting flavor to the dish. I love shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish Fabian Seafood would find Denver. I have to rely on frozen. Your pasta dish sure sounds good. Also wish I could find some of that smaller rigatoni. I'm such a sucker for capers, I know I'd love every bite of this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shrimps and pasta match perfectly and this dish looks perfect Susan! Rigatoni or penne I think are the best for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a seafood fan..shrimp looks delicious..very tempting..loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this sounds amazing Susan, I really love seafood ! A hug..

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to buy and prepare more shrimp- your pasta dish would be a perfect way to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like comforting pasta, definitely. There is nothing like fresh seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely recipe. I make pasta at least once or twice a week and always looking for new ideas. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh you lucky woman..fresh fresh shrimps! I think it may be the only time my husband eats pasta..with seafood..so this is delicious with your reduced wine sauce, the tomatoes and capers..I will let you know what mon chéri thinks this weekend?
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pasta, my favorite comfort food and with fresh seafood to boot! Your scampified dish looks delicious, I would lick my plate!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Shrimp scampi is great on it's own, but even better made into pasta! I love that lemony butter sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Susan, your pasta with shrimps sounds and looks fabulous...nothing like fresh shrimps...yum!
    Hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a treat to get fresh shrimp and crab. Our crab season starts in several weeks and I can't wait to make our favorite pasta dishes. Your pasta dish sounds delicious, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a difference in flavors it makes to have access to fresh seafood! I adore the Mediterranean ingredients in this recipe. i imagine there would be plenty of wine leftover to enjoy with the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a lovely recipe. As always, your posts leave my wanting to be your next door neighbor :).

    On another subject, I sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing from you. Until then, have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  33. this looks wonderful and adore the name you gave it

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think it so very cool to have access to local foods. A local fish truck is awesome.
    Your pasta dish is divine. Very comforting on a cool day.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fresh seafood...you are a lucky gal. It all looks delish as always. Have a great holiday week.

    ReplyDelete
  36. There is nothing finer that fresh Gulf shrimp. What a lovely way to showcase it.

    You've won one of my cookbook giveaways - Savoring the Hamptons. Congratulations! Please let me know where to ship it to you.

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just saw you won the book Savoring the Hamptons, lol. Am I in it? :)
    Your scampi look delicious. I am off to get our shrimp todaym great sale so I am stocking up.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!