Saturday, October 16, 2010

Citrus Salad with Pom Vinaigrette and a Pom Cosmo~


This salad was the highlight of one of our gourmet group dinners early last winter.  I hadn't had the inspiration to recreate it at home until now...pomegranate season has begun again! This is a delicious winter season salad with fresh citrus.

The generous people at Pom Wonderful offered me a case of Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice recently. I eagerly accepted. I have loved pomegranates since I was a child when my mother would bring one home as an special treat.  Pomegranates are far from being local produce in the Midwest but they are being offered in our local grocery stores very reasonably this week.


There is something so exotic about cutting into a pomegranate and finding those plump, ruby arils.The original salad dressing from our gourmet group dinner called for lemon juice in the vinaigrette. I substituted pomegranate juice.  Pom Wonderful has a very similar vinaigrette recipe on their website.


This salad would make a delicious holiday salad recipe for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any fall or winter gathering! The savory combination of rosemary with the tang of the jalepeno pepper is wonderful with the sweet-tart flavor of the citrus and avocado and crunch of the toasted nuts and pomegranate seeds.


There is something so delicious about the combination of ingredients that makes this salad and dressing memorable! Please don't alter anything, including the jalapeno pepper.  If you don't like them, just add less but they are intrinsic to the recipe, in my opinion. I didn't have pine nuts, which the original recipe called for, so I substituted toasted, slivered almonds today.


Before dinner began tonight, I started with a cocktail. It is Saturday night, after all! I'm not normally a cocktail person but I do like a good Cosmopolitan or Scotch cocktail on occasion, wine being my preferred beverage with dinner. I tried the Pom Cosmo recipe on the Pom Wonderful website.  At first taste, I knew it was too bitter for me so I made some simple syrup which sweetened it perfectly. Simple syrup is so easy to make. You will find the recipe below.



Citrus Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
Printable Recipe

6-8 servings

1/2 cup pomegranate juice (original recipe called for 2 T fresh lemon juice)
1 teaspoon  Dijon mustard
7 tablespoons olive oil
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
2 teaspoons chopped, fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 navel oranges
2 pink grapefruit
1 medium head red leaf lettuce, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces
3 avocados
¼ cup pine nuts, toasted (I substituted toasted, slivered almonds)
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
1 small red onion, peeled, thinly sliced and rings separated.

In a small bowl, combine pomegranate juice (or lemon juice) and mustard. Whisk in olive oil, minced jalapeño, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let stand at room temp for at least 30 minutes. Peel and remove pith from oranges and grapefruit. Slice oranges in half and then into rounds. Cut grapefruit in half lengthwise and slice crosswise into half rounds. Slice avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop flesh from rind with a large spoon and slice.

In a salad bowl, combine greens and add a small amount of dressing and toss. Divide greens among serving plates. Arrange oranges, grapefruit and avocado on each serving. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and pine nuts (or almonds) on each plate. Top with red onion slices, drizzle with additional dressing and serve.

Pom Cosmopolitan
Printable Recipe

1 oz POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
1 oz good quality vodka
1/2 oz. Cointreau or Triple Sec
1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 oz simple syrup (Made by boiling equal parts sugar and water for 3 minutes and allow to cool. I use 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Refrigerate after cooling.
Twist of lime for garnish

Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into glass. Garnish with lime twist.

35 comments:

  1. Bonjour Susan~ I have just found your lovely site through Monique at ~La Table de Nana~ and love your beautiful salad, so very colourful and I'm sure healthy as well.
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe gives the meaning behind Pom Wonderful's name. I adore pomegranates, and right now there are some beautiful fruits that are ripping at the seams because the arils are growing so big. This looks like a wonderful brightly flavored salad. The cosmo looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll raise a glass to your cosmo! And your gnocchi is unbelievable. I have homegrown squash dying to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colour and great combination of fruits and veggies. Looks absolutely stunning, and really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Che deliziosa e colorata insalata!!! e la vinaigrette è buonissima!!! complimenti, un bacio :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, pomegranate in salad gives a special touch. I have also tasted this to several restaurants and I did make a version of my own. The flavors are very unique. I love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you Susan. I love Pom. You've been very creative with it too. The arils are always the perfect touch, aren't they?

    Wish I could join you in a lovely Pom Cosmo!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. un'insalata così la mangerei anche a colazione al posto del latte!!!!!baci!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about the pomegranate. Everything on this page is beautiful and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning,

    I visit you blog almost everyday and use a lot of your recipes...thank you!

    I was wondering if you can tell me where you purchased the HALLOWEEN TOPPERS AND PAPER CUPS shown on La Tabledenana? My grandchildren would like them very much!

    Many thanks and keep up your beautiful blog~

    Sue P...Texas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salad looks delicious! It is so beautiful too! I bought a stuffed turkey breast from Trader Joe's (because I have been craving turkey already!!) I think this salad will go perfectly with it. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely a pom cosmo girl, thanks to an introduction to them by one of my sisters (whose name is Susan, BTW). :D And your salad looks delicious. I've just noticed pomegranates at my grocer's this week, too. I love those little arils. I can't wait to try your salad, Susan. Beautifully photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your comments, everyone, and welcome new faces ;)

    Sue from Texas, the cups were from Crate and Barrel and toppers came from JoAnn - both last year. I haven't checked yet to see if JoAnn still carries the same toppers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great use of the juice, Susan! That salad looks outstanding. I love pom in a vinaigrette, great flavor! I am saving my last bottle for that cocktail!

    I still call them seeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh, I really don't care how it tastes...what a beautiful salad! Next time pomegranates are available here, I'll give this one a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh...I LOVE your autumn coloured salad with pomegranate vinaigrette! POM should buy your pictures and publish on their site. Look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is definitely the season for poms and I will definitely make this dressing. Your photos are incredible. I just love your site. I am so glad I got your new post in my mail... though I am still a little sensitive and heart hurt when I hear the word "pom"... but, I will get over it, eventually.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much Susan I will let you know?

    Sue....

    ReplyDelete
  19. That salad and the vinegarette sound great - a little different. Thanks for the inspriation.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! I love pomagranate and love the idea of using omagranate juice in a salad dressing. This looks beautiful and tasty and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both the salad and the pom cosmo are "picture perfect" - I would love to try them both!

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The salad looks and sounds wonderful!! The Pom dressing is something I know I would like also.
    BUT...wish I could have reached in and grabbed the Cosmo!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A case of pom juice sounds wonderful! I love your salad and dressing and best of all, that cocktail! what a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The salad looks good, Susan! I think I will have to use mine in a sauce or dressing as we found it bitter as a juice.
    The drink looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just came acroos your blog and I am a follower now. I am a newbee...a year in February

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love POM too! Gorgeous creation. Love the sweet and tangy flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Quelle élégante assiettée:))xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. this salad looks so pretty and festive:) great post. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful and delicious looking salad and the dressing is my favorite kind of thing. We will be having this soon and I will link it back to you. You scored with the juice and I did with the recipe! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How did I miss this? I too love POMS..Great post..Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can I get you to move to the Cul de Sac's of kansas... so jealous of a gourmet food group. But, we do have chili and rib cook offs, so in it's own way...

    I make a similar salad, olives and Oranges, but with a simple mustard vinaigrette. Hoping to get more Pom soon.

    Great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  32. So many great flavours in this salad! I especially like the addition of Jalapenos! A perfect dish for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful salad! The colors are amazing, and the flavors too. I love the balance of tart and sweet and savory. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!