Sunday, December 13, 2009

Key Lime Bars


These tasty little gems would look so pretty on your tray of Christmas goodies. Most people are in the thick of holiday baking with only a little over a week to Christmas.  Key lime squares are sweet and tart with a delicious shortbread crust.  Very much like a lemon bar but with a lovely green hue perfect for the holiday. 

I found this recipe in one of my oldies but goodies - The Junior League Centennial Cookbook.  You can find the link in the recipe below. 

Key Lime Bars

Recipe adapted from The Junior League Centennial Cookbook
~from Savoring Time in the Kitchen
Printable Recipe

Makes 12-24 bars, depending on how big you cut them

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup Key Lime juice (or regular lime juice if you can't find Key Limes)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. In the bowl of a food processor, add 1 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of confectioners' sugar. Add the butter and pulse just until it forms a dough. Alternately, you can do this in a bowl with your hands or a pastry cutter. Do not overwork.

Pat the dough into firmly and evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the eggs slightly. Stir in 1 cup of granulated sugar and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until blended. Add the lime juice. (This may also be done in a food processor). Pour onto the warm, baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes. Place on a rack to cool.

Before slicing and serving, sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons or more of sifted confectioners' sugar.

20 comments:

  1. It's so cute Susan..You have terrific ornaments .. and recipes..Have great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, what a darling tree ... I can imagine how much joy it brings you in the kitchen. Beautiful selection of ornaments ... I LOVE the watermelon one. ... Your key lime bars sound very tasty. It seems that key limes are more available around here than they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I love it! Beautiful Tree and Mosaic. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    A View of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree is cute and I like the recipe - might just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a tree in the kitchen, very cute! Beautiful mosaic.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love food ornaments! I just love the peeled banana! And I'll definitely be making some key lime bars - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great idea to put that tree in the kitchen - and those key lime squares look great. I've never had them - only lemon squares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "foodie" tree is simply adorable, Susan. I would never have dreamed there were so many food ornaments! I've seen tree with kitchen utensils on it, but yours is far cuter!
    Now a key lime bar would be heaven. Kind of like those lemon coconut bars, but a purer lemon (or key lime in this case) flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh ... the kitchen tree is fantastic! My husband is going to hold you personally responsible for yet another Christmas tree in our house! I have to make a Kitchen one -- amazing!!!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love all the Kitchen trees in blogland. If I had the place for one...I would have one!
    Yours is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leave it to you to find one of a kind ornaments for a kitchen tree!! They are so cute..fantastic idea!! Made a great mosaic..loved the watermelon slice!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea to have a tree in the kitchen with food ornaments. Lovely. Thank you for your visit and have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  13. ciao! deliziosi questi dolcetti!!

    grazie della tua visita nel mio blog! a presto ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to have a little tree in the kitchen devoted to your foodie ornaments. Love your festive mosaic too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your tree and ornaments. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your "foodie" tree! How cool is that? Fun post, Susan! I love the key lime squares!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your "foodie" tree is one of the cutest trees around. Love it! It's fun to have a small tree with a theme. I did the same with my rooster ornaments. Thanks for sharing....Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I had room in my kitchen for a darling tree like this! Love that watermelon ornament! Thanks for the recipe and for joining Deck the Halls!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember your little kitchen tree from last year and loved it so much I have been collecting some ornaments as I see them (only have 3 so far, so didn't do a tree this year).

    The key lime bars sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!