Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Ravioli with Hazelnut Butter


With cool, rainy and windy weather bombarding us right now, it felt like a good day to make some homemade pasta! I had been waiting for an 'indoor' day to make this recipe since I first saw it here.


I love the pasta roller set that I got for my birthday earlier this year. It fits my stand mixer so there's no need to crank, which makes pasta-making so easy. There is a great video showing how easy making pasta sheets with the roller attachment here.


This was my first attempt at making ravioli! On each flat sheet of pasta that I made, I placed some butternut squash filling at 1-inch intervals along one side, the margins were moistened with water and then folded the plain side of dough over the filing. The air is pressed out the edges were pressed to seal the filing. I then used a pastry cutter to cut along the sealed edges. Click here to see a short video of how this chef seals ravioli.


A little toasted hazelnut browned butter and some freshly grated parmegianno-reggiano on top...molto buono! This was such an excellent recipe!



I made enough to share with my daughter and son-in-law and also for us to have again tonight! If you enjoy butternut squash as much as I do, I hope you will try this recipe.

I was lucky enough to find hazelnuts without skins at my local grocery store but you could also substitute toasted walnuts. If you don't have a pasta roller, you could substitute won ton wrappers.

Fresh Pasta
Adapted from Williams Sonoma

2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Flour for dusting
Pasta Machine or Pasta Making Attachment
Baking Sheets

Place flour in a mound on a hard, non-porous work surface. Make a well in the center large enough to hold the beaten eggs then pour them eggs into the well. Gradually incorporating some of the flour from the sides, using a fork, being careful to not to break the flour wall. When the eggs are no longer runny, you don’t have to worry about the wall. Continue to work in more flour until the dough is no longer wet.

Knead the dough by hand, adding as much additional all-purpose flour as needed until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky, for 3 to 5 minutes.

Have your pasta machine ready next to the work surface. Dust baking sheets with flour. Divide the dough in half and keep one half on the work surface, covered with a kitchen towel to keep it from drying out. Lightly flour the work surface with some of the reserved sieved flour. Using a rolling pin, flatten the other dough half into a rectangle thin enough to go through the rollers at the widest setting. Pass the dough through the rollers once, then lay the resulting ribbon down on the work surface and flour it lightly. Fold into thirds lengthwise to make a rectangle and flour both sides lightly. Flatten the dough with the rolling pin until it is thin enough to go through the rollers again. With one of the two open edges going first, pass the dough through the rollers nine more times at the widest setting; after each time, flour, fold and flatten the dough as described. After 10 trips through the wide rollers, the dough should be completely smooth and supple.

Now you are ready to thin the dough. Starting at the second-to-widest setting, pass the dough through the rollers repeatedly, setting the rollers one notch narrower each time. When the pasta ribbon gets unwieldy, cut it in half and continue rolling one part at a time until the dough reaches the desired thinness.

Arrange the finished pasta sheets on the prepared baking sheets and cover with kitchen towels to prevent drying. Repeat the entire process with the second half of dough.

Butternut Squash with Hazelnut Butter
Adapted from Foodess

2 pounds of fresh butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 small onion, diced
1-1/2 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, minced
4 ounces mascarpone
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half, remove seeds, and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place flesh side down on baking sheet, and bake until very soft, about 40 minutes.

In a dry pan over medium heat, lightly toast chopped hazelnuts. Set aside. In the same pan, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and cook onion with sage until soft and golden. Scoop flesh from cooked squash, and add to onion mixture and mash together. Allow to cool slightly, then add mascarpone and combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Drop teaspoonfuls of squash mixture about an inch apart the length of a sheet of pasta. Fold pasta over filling, and use dampened fingers to seal the entire length. Press pasta down around all sides of filling to seal. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the pasta into squares of equal size, each with a dollop of filling in the center. Fold the cut edges under, around all four sides of ravioli. Use a fork to crimp and seal. Repeat with remaining pasta sheet. Drop ravioli into a pot of gently boiling water and cook until they are tender, and rise to the surface (about 7 minutes).

Heat butter and hazelnuts in a pan over medium heat until butter browns. Add broth, and remove from heat. Drizzle brown butter sauce over ravioli on plate, and top with shaved or grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

You can find more at here. Thank you, Foodess!

14 comments:

  1. I've been debating whether to buy the pasta attachment for my mixer. If this is the result I'm putting it on my Christmas list. This is my favorite ravioli. And with hazelnuts yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit it makes my pasta machine look ancient:) My friend just came back from Italy and a cooking course w. a machine like mine in hand..The video makes it look so easy! Is it the same pasta recipe?:)

    Your ravioli looks amazing! I made semolina pasta this week w/ a sage and walnut pesto and you will notice I didn't post it:)~

    Great pics Susan..very informative.. ! Thanks so much.

    You've made ravioli look ethereal:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cathy and Monique!

    I did use the pasta dough recipe from Williams Sonoma, Monique. Foodess included it with her recipe too. They are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely mosaic ... Susan, you definitely have put your KA pasta attachment to good use. Your ravioli are perfect. ... Butternut squash is a favorite around here. Thank you for the recipe and recommendation. ... The video makes it look so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so hungry after reading this post - the ravioli sound like they are so good! Beautiful photos of them as well - your machine makes perfect pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious and is so you!! That's sounds odd, but it would be something for your group also. Love the butternut squash..but not to sure about ME making fresh ravioli!!
    Super post and your photos are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, that ravioli looks absolutely to die for! OMG, I would so love that! Your pics are all so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elegant and mouthwatering as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely be making these ravioli. Butternut squash ravioli are my very favorite. I tried your recipe for Spinach, Pasta E Fagioli soup. It was unbelievable! I had the last of my fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden for the pot. I am so happy I found your lovely blog. I have a KA with the attachments but plan to give it to my daughter. I just purchased the new 90th anniversary KA with the glass bowl. I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was your first attempt? I am impressed! The dish is perfect! Roasting the butternut squash would give it such depth of flavor. I think sage is a great addition- and perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that looks so good!

    I love butternut squash, so I am sure I would like this.
    Thanks for sharing the video.
    Debating on the pasta maker..I have the hand one and rarely use it...I have to think about it..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious, Susan! Always beautiful pictures! Visiting here always makes me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, that's a gorgeous watercolor! Is it new? Have you ever had a showing of your works?

    We love butternut squash, but the closest I get to ravioli is wonton wrappers, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey- how funny I received that very pasta roller for my birthday.

    These ravioli look so luscious.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!