Monday, August 17, 2009

Blueberry-Lemon Mini Cakes for my Little Boy Blue


Baby showers are so much fun!  The anticipation of welcoming a grandson has been wonderful too. The last of the baby showers was yesterday...the one that was most special to me because it was given by my daughter for her sister and celebrated together with wonderful friends and family.


I helped my daughter by preparing favors for the shower. We decided that mini loaves of blueberry bread with the theme of Little Boy Blue would be a cute idea.




After trying several different blueberry bread and cake recipes, I came up with this recipe that produced the taste and texture I liked the best. These mini cakes are wonderful for breakfast or brunch!

 
Blueberry-Lemon Mini Cakes with Lemon Glaze
Printable Recipe

1 cup unsalted butter (1/2 pound), softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons lemon peel, grated
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cup fresh blueberries (can use frozen, if necessary)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray mini loaf pans with vegetable spray, then dust with flour. Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside. Place softened butter, sugar, salt and lemon peel and eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium speed until creamy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice. (I know most recipes call for adding the eggs after crearming the butter and sugar but I had a better texture creaming the eggs with the sugar and butter). Add flour mixture and mix until blended and then add sour cream and mix again. With mixer on slow speed, slowly add the milk. Remove the bowl from the mixer and gently fold in blueberries and pour into prepared pans up to 3/4 full*. I dot the top with a few extra berries.

*I found I had enough batter for one or two extra ramekins.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until tops are lightly browned and knife comes out clean. Cool the loaves for about 15 minutes in the pans and then remove to a cooling rack set over a large jelly roll pan. Prick the cakes all over with a small sharp knife and drizzle with the lemon glaze. Cool completely and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate or freeze.

While the mini loaves are baking, make the lemon glaze.

Lemon Glaze:

3/4 cup sugar
Fresh lemon juice of two whole lemons (about 1/2 cup)


In small saucepan combine the sugar and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat just the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Keep the glaze warm until cakes are ready to be drizzled. Glaze can be reheated, if necessary. 

12 comments:

  1. So sweet,such a beautiful reception:) You are on the verge of .. the best of the rest :)

    Nothing compares.Well in later years...
    And you can say I told you so.

    Your contributions are so cute and I bet delicious!

    I wonder if our wee ones will be born on the same day:)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see who is born first, Monique! I hope you saw the balloons you sent and the picks in the centerpieces...I added a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you two have so much in common! Especially now. :)

    What darling ideas and sweet photos, Susan. I hope your new grandson is born in a timely fashion... and your newest baby too, M!

    It's so heartwarming to know these new little beings will be so welcomed into such loving and happy families.

    Enjoy every moment. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic mosaic of the shower -- how special. Lucky little boy to be born into so much love --- let's just hope he stays patient a few more weeks!
    And the blueberry cakes? YUM.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, what a lovely mosaic of such a special event AND what memories you'll have forever ... you have lots to celebrate.

    I clicked on the mosaic so I could get a close-up of the blueberry bread bag and tag. So sweet...

    Best wishes for good health and happiness for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely mosaic. Yummy cuppy!
    Happy Monday
    ♥Ita

    ReplyDelete
  7. The anticipation is killing me, but these moments are so precious for any mommy-to-be!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks excellent, Susan!
    What a happy time for you and your family!
    Prayers that all goes well..
    The breads look wonderful, and such a nice take home to enjoy the next day with breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see little boy blue!
    I don't have any grandchildren, but, oh, how I look forward to the day.

    Lovely celebration, and I'm sure presents from good friends made for a memorable baby shower.

    Congratulations to the new mom, to you Susan, and to Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything turned out so beautiful.. I know the bread was the way to go on this one - you did an outstanding job with them!
    The mosaic will be such a special reminder for Lindsay..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how sweet! I hope all is going well with your daughter's pregnancy. My first tried to make an early appearance, but everything worked out OK.

    Thanks so much for sharing your joyful expectations at Mosaic Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely mosaic of the baby shower. Wishing her well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!