Saturday, April 4, 2009

Blooming Art at the Milwaukee Art Museum - Part One

Welcome to the second annual Art in Bloom event at the Milwaukee Art Museum! I was privileged to attend this beautiful event and a guided tour by my docent friend. Top local floral designers were chosen to participate and each had their art piece picked by lottery. Their job was to interpret the chosen art piece by creative use of flowers and their arrangement.



We enter Windhover Hall in the Calatrava wing of the museum and are greeted by our resident Chihuly blown glass piece which is approximately 20 feet high:



Windhover hall is very stark with its white floors, walls and ceilings overlooking blue Lake Michigan. You can enjoy the art or a simple lunch overlooking the lake. For this event, Windhover hall was chosen to be the starting point of the Art in Bloom exhibit. Three magnificent bronze sculpures greeted us with the floral interpretations of their stark white surroundings.






No flash photograph and no tripods are allowed in our museum so the low lighting resulted in many blurred shots :(

Our first stop is in the Bradley Exhibit which features modern art. The first is The Horseman by Marc Chagall and its floral interpretation...


A WWII German concentration camp survivor artist and floral interpretation. Our museum is known for it's collection of German WWII survivor art...



The Cock of the Liberation (of France by Nazis) by Picasso and floral interpretation...









I really liked this interpretation:



My favorite of the modern exhibit interpretations, a Georgia O'Keefe Poppies painting and floral interpretation:


Part Two coming soon:)

9 comments:

  1. Lovely art, lovely blooms -- and I love Chiluly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have love your day..Being and artist and a gardener..A match made in heaven..Looks like fun Susan..thanks for taking us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Chiluly is an eye opener first thing, with so much more to come. The museum itself looks amazing! I love the one with the lips! All great interpretations! Great exhibit! Thanks for the tour, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these are excellent!! I love the poppies too. It's so hard to pick a fav again. I see now I was wrong about Pieter being Johnny Depp..it was Rembrandt. How could I forget that lol. Thanks for taking the time to share these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have had a wonderful day -my fav also is the Georgia O'Keefe poppies..I have one of her red poppie prints in my guest bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, what a beautiful post and how fortunate for you to be able to attend the event with your friend.

    What a wonderful building ... definitely pays respect to Lake Michigan and the ships coming and going.

    I love Chihuly and the colors in the Windhover Hall piece is glorious.

    I love the Chagall ... and the O'Keefe ... ALL of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was lovely!
    You must have enjoyed every minute of it.
    Thank you for taking us with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, what a great way to spend the day, and we are thankful you took us along. I love the stark white, the O'Keefe, Chihuly! You are very fortunate to have the wonderful museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, again, Susan. What a fabulous event to attend. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!