Thursday, December 4, 2008

Grilled Salmon Salad with Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette


My hubby and I have really been trying to eat lighter since the Thanksgiving free-for-all. We've been eating salads, fruits, veggies and fish as often as possible. 

This salmon can be made on a grill or pan-seared.  I serve it on top of my second all-time favorite salad (just slightly behind Caesar salad). I don't have a name for this salad, it was given to me by a friend. The combination of flavors is wonderful. It can be served as a side salad or topped with grilled fish or scallops.

I used some A in 5 boule dough and added herbs and sea salt to make a small dinner loaf to serve with our salad.


Here is the recipe for the grilled salmon. I found this on line years ago so I'm sorry I can't give the proper credit. This makes enough for a whole salmon fillet so adjust if you are only making a small amount. I decided to pan-sear my salmon indoors in a cast-iron pan rather than grilling outside. It was only 15F!

Grilled Salmon

½ stick butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Lawry’s seasoning salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp Mrs. Dash original seasoning
Juice of one lemon, strained
1 large salmon fillet

Stir first 4 ingredients together in a small saucepan and cook on stove-top until garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.

Place fish grate on grill and heat grill to medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray. Grill salmon skin side down first for 4 minutes. Flip over and remove skin. Grill for another 4 minutes and flip again. During last 4 minutes baste with above mixture but beware there will be flare-ups so watch carefully.

After preparing this recipe for a couple of years, I now simply prepare the seasoned butter mixture and pour it over the salmon after it comes off the grill and allow to rest for several minutes.

Here is the salad recipe:

Mustard/Dill Salad with Pine Nuts and Gorgonzola

Dressing:

2t dill
1-2T horseradish mustard or stone ground mustard
1/2-1t salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4C balsamic vinegar
stir these ingredients
add in stream while whisking 1/2C olive oil

Salad:

1 large head romaine
about 1/2- 3/4C pine nuts toasted
Crumbled Gorgonzola cheese 'to taste' - about 1-2 ounces.
Optional - Avocado and Tomato

Serve as a side salad or top with grilled salmon or scallops. Yum!

ENJOY!

7 comments:

  1. Patty melt looks amazing, Susan! and we are big on salads, too, and that one looks so good! I've added it to my list to try!

    Your A in 5's always look fantastic! Must be nice to smell the bread baking on one of one your cold, snowy days! Nice warm bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it all looks delish, even the 15 degrees temps! congrats on another success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want red plates:)

    It's Christmas isn't it?:)

    Pretty pretty Susan!

    I just put together some A in 5 too..It's going in the fridge in an hour..
    Back to home..and creature comforts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That salad looks great - thanks for a great way to change it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are great! Thank you.

    Welcome and thank you, Cathy. I know I've lurked at your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds really delicious! Mustard goes so well with salmon. I could definitely stand to eat a few more salads these days - I'd love to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done such a beautiful job on your blog Susan (I'm SO not surprised!) Everything looks lovely!

    I'm with Monique, I want red dishes now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!